South by Shout Out: Trampled by TurtlesPosted by Chris Green
Trampled by Turtles at South by Southwest
Trampled by Turtles is a non-traditional bluegrass band from Duluth, Minnesota who have had a great deal of crossover success playing for rock audiences at clubs and festivals. They keep to the traditional lineup of strings and vocal harmonies, but play with a high-energy percussive style. They are famous for playing their up-tempo songs really fast (depending on the makeup of the audience, a bluegrass mosh-pit may form), but the slower numbers are also engaging. TBT has played at Bumbershoot (and are on the lineup for this year’s Sasquatch festival), and have sold out the Tractor Tavern several times. While the band mostly plays their own compositions, they have been known to throw a cover or two (such as the Pixies’ “Where is My Mind”) into their live sets.
Trampled by Turtles at SXSW:
- Thursday Mar 15, ACL Live, 10:35am @ ACL Live at the Moody Theater, 310 W Willie Nelson Blvd (ACL Bloody Mary Morning SXSW Day Party). Free bloody Marys and breakfast tacos will be available.
- Thursday Mar 15, 12 midnight @ Cedar St Courtyard, 208 W 4th St (Thirty Tigers official showcase).
- Friday Mar 16, 9am @Four Seasons Hotel Main Ballroom, 98 San Jacinto Boulevard (KUT SXSW Live Broadcast). If you are up this early (hopefully you won’t be still up from the night before), The KUT radio broadcasts from this hotel may present good opportunities to see some uncrowded performances by artists including Ray Wylie Hubbard, Jimmy Cliff, The Punch Brothers, James Mercer of The Shins, Justin Townes Earle, NNeka, and Nada Surf.
- Friday Mar 16, 1:15pm @ Red Eyed Fly, 715 Red River Street (Noise Pop Party).
- Friday Mar 16, 4:30pm @ Swan Dive, 615 Red River st (Gimme Noise SXSW day party, free to all). Doomtree is playing before Trampled By Turtles.